My micro-internship experience: From classroom to boardroom

microinternship logo

As part of our Careers and Employability offering in the Business School, Master’s students (who are not completing an industry project within their course) have the option to take part in a three-week work-based learning programme designed to provide you with valuable professional experience.

For The Future Ghana is a charity organisation mainly made up of young people organising outreaches and projects to alleviate the plight of underprivileged children.

“As a postgraduate student, I’ve always been eager to put the theories and concepts learned in the classroom to practical use. The micro-internship offered the perfect platform for my transition. Working with For The Future Ghana gave me real-world exposure to the challenges faced by non-profit organisations and the opportunity to apply my academic knowledge to solve them.”

Nivetha Sri Sivakumar

“During the micro-internship, I could directly apply strategic frameworks like SWOT analysis and risk assessment methodologies—concepts I had only previously studied in textbooks. For example, when we conducted a SWOT analysis for For The Future Ghana, we identified core strengths, such as the NGO’s solid community connections and weaknesses, such as limited funding diversification. This strategic analysis guided our decision-making as we proposed actionable strategies to help the NGO secure sustainable funding and grow its outreach.

Implementing these academic tools in a real-world setting during the micro-internship was not just a task but a significant learning experience. It significantly enhanced my understanding of how these tools work in practice, showing me the importance of aligning strategic decisions with an organisation’s specific needs and context.”

“The most exciting part of this internship was working with an NGO that faces real-world challenges, such as the uncertainty of funding and resource constraints. Our task was to identify potential partnerships and grants that aligned with the mission of For The Future Ghana. This was where theoretical knowledge of risk assessment and scenario planning emerged, evaluating which funding options were most viable and which partnerships would have the most significant long-term impact.

This process taught me to assess risks and opportunities from an academic perspective and consider practical constraints, such as economic instability and the post-pandemic recovery environment. This holistic approach made our final recommendations both strategic and realistic.”

“Throughout the project, we engaged in regular virtual meetings and received valuable, constructive feedback from our mentor, Kathleen (Employability Advisor at the business school). This structured mentorship helped us align our objectives with the client’s expectations, enabling us to navigate challenges effectively and deliver high-quality outcomes. After weeks of hard work, we presented our findings and strategic recommendations to our client, Obed Nyarko. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive and it was incredibly rewarding to see our efforts appreciated and understood.”

Micro-internship particpants

“This micro-internship allowed me to experience firsthand the transition from academic theory to practical application. It provided an invaluable opportunity to grow as a leader, understand the complexities of real-world challenges, and contribute to an organisation working to make a difference.

As I progress in my academic and professional journey, I am confident the skills I’ve gained from this micro-internship will serve as a strong foundation for future projects, leadership roles, and decision-making opportunities.

The experience demonstrated that any challenge, whether in the classroom or boardroom, can be tackled effectively with the right tools, collaboration, and strategic thinking.”